Friday, July 11, 2008

iPhone 2.0 Firmware Update Bricked Me

Uggggh! While I've sung the praises of the device that beats all other smart phones for firmware upgrades at no cost, I have to publicly admit I'm highly disappointed with Apple's preparedness today and my now useless iBrick. Yep, upon upgrading my iPhone 1st Gen to 2.0 status, the complete process failed and my iPhone is currently useless.

But to my relief, I'm not alone. Others have flooded the Internet, especially Twitter, with posts of their grief and dismay. All seem to have the same issue: all seems to go well (backup, upgrade, restore) then when accessing the iTunes Store for activation and the last step in the restoration process you get an error and a device that only allows for "emergency calls" with no signal to actually make the call.

Some have stated that the devices are in queue. I highly doubt this as the events to activate are user driven, not asynchronous queued events. The reality is 1st gen owners are competing with bandwidth and server issues with 2nd gen owners and Apple just simplied messed up. Will they be forgiven. Off course, as long as there are Apple Fanboys out there. Will the blogosphere forget this punishing day? Hopefully not.

As for me, I will not forget this day and will likely be a bit more hestitant to upgrade my firmware without waiting a few weeks. After hearing positive reviews from yesterday's successes, I thought, "sure, I'll chance it." Never again. Thanks Apple for a very stressful day. May it end well for both of us.

No comments: